Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Lilliputians + me


F's family wants to help me find matching jewelry for the wedding & engagement-related outfits. This is exciting for me and everybody else, because everybody likes sparkly pretty things. So of course they want me to try on all of their own jewelry whenever the subject comes up. The problem is that the women in his family have tiny hands, so I can only fit about 4 fingers through the bangles that fit them. Not being able to fit one's hand through a bangle is a kind of weird feeling, socially and body image-wise. Not because bangle-ability has anything to do with fatness, but it does have to do with size. And it's still better in this world for a girl to be small and thin than big and thin.

Luckily, my new roommate has big hands like me, and owns bangles, so I know I'm not doomed. I tried on one of hers this morning to see, and it did actually go over my hand. She said "the ones I have are pretty much the biggest size, so if that doesn't fit you might have trouble finding any." I guess I lucked out. Apparently she also has trouble finding big enough shoes in India. I wonder if I'll care much about that, or if I'll just not bother trying with Indian shoes.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Hi - I just found your blog! Congrats on your upcoming marriage! I am married to a great guy from India. I and I have to say I had a bit of trouble finding bangles to fit me also. I was doing my wedding shopping in India, the shop owner literally folded my hand in half and jammed them into the bangles. It didn't hurt too much when he did it, but when I tried it wasn't such a success... After our wedding, I had to use soap and water to get them off! They are so pretty, but so much trouble!

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog. I hope that your engagement and marriage were absolutely wonderful. You're pictures that you have on here are beautiful. It's funny that you mention the bangles not fitting. I also had trouble finding bangles to fit me for my wedding. And glass bangles... forget it! I wish you all the happiness in the world.

-Jessica
www.pyariladki.com